Cornmeal porridge is considered a healthy and nutritious meal among Jamaicans. Amazing when served with bread or water crackers.
- ¼ cup Milk
- ½ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Nutmeg (ground)
- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal (coarse or fine)
- 2 drops Vanilla Flavouring
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon (ground)
- Add cornmeal to a bowl, and then pour enough water into the bowl to cover the cornmeal.
- Use a fork to mix the cornmeal in the bowl to let the water and cornmeal mix loose and watery.
- Put the 4 cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium.
- Slowly pour the water and cornmeal into the saucepan while stirring with a fork.
- Stir the mix continuously for about 3 minutes. Ensure flames not too high as the porridge will splash and burn your hand if the heat is too high.
- Turn the fire down even more if the splashes from the pot become large.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for about twenty minutes. Occasionally stirring the mixture in the pot.
- Turn off the fire but do not remove the pot from the stove. Now add all the ingredients, except the nutmeg.
- Stir to sweeten porridge.
- Serve in small soup bowls and sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
- BONUS: Add more ingredients of your choice to get the desired taste.