Mackerel RunDown is easy and delicious! If you like the ingredients in the name, you'll love the dish.
- 1 spring of thyme
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 stalks scallion, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 lbs salt mackerel
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup of coconut rundown (see traditional Jamaican coconut rundown recipe)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper
- Soak the mackerel in water overnight to remove the salt. If the mackerel is still very salty, boil in a pot of water for about 20 minutes.
- Drain the mackerel and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the mackerel to the rundown, cover and cook for about 14 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, scallion, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme.
- Stir in all ingredients. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Best served with boiled green bananas, yam, cassava, sweet potatoes and cassava dumplings.
- Tip: keep whole to get the best flavor, then remove after cooking or use a third of a pepper chopped finely without the seeds