Salt Fish Pumpkin Seasoned Rice
Add some flavour to your to your meal. Transform your regular plain rice into something magestic the Jamaican way.
- Salt and Black pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Optional)
- 2 stalk scallions, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 med onion (chopped)
- ½ lb diced pumpkin
- ½ lb saltfish (Cod fish)
- 2-3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3½ cups water
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- Boil for 20 minutes to remove most of the salt.
- Drain the water and remove the saltfish (codfish) and place in a dish.
- Break into small pieces and remove the bones and set aside.
- Peel the pumpkin, dice it and add it to the water and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Cook until pumpkin is fully cooked, that is, soft or easily mashed with a fork.
- Add rice and all the other ingredients except the scotch bonnet pepper to the pot.
- Stir while cooking to distribute the rich orange colour of the pumpkin.
- Add the whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper after about 20 minutes on top of the rice.
- Steam for about 10-15 more minutes or until done.
- Taste to ensure that the rice is seasoned and properly cooked.
Cook's Tip: If you want spicy rice, dice the Scotch Bonnet Pepper and add directly to the rice & mix.