Jamaican Festival Dumplings
Festival dumplings are very tasty. Perfect with jerk chicken and pork.
- 1 cup Cooking Oil
- 1/2 cup cold Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add beaten egg and vanilla and mix gently until combined
- A bit at a time, add water, kneading until dough holds together.
- Knead dough until smooth and divide into 6 or more equal pieces; shape in long dumplings.
- Heat cooking oil on High in deep frying pan and place the Festival Dumplings in the pan one at a time.
- Reduce heat to Medium and turn Festival dumplings every few minutes until they are brown on all sides and are cooked through; they will expand as they cook.
- Tips: If you prefer a lighter a Festival dumpling: use 3 Tbsp of cornmeal instead and adjust the amount of water needed to bind the dough