- Wash peas and remove any foreign matter, such as stones, if present. Wash escallion and remove only the outer layer.
- Add the peas and the salt to the water and boil the peas in a 2-quart stock pot , on medium heat, until they are medium soft.
- The water will evaporate during the boiling process and you will need to add water. In this case, be sure to add warm water (not room temperature or cold water) to the pot.
- Add the coconut milk, thyme and escallion to the already cooked peas (kidney beans) and let this combination boil for about 5 minutes, then taste the ingredients of the pot. Add more salt to taste is necessary.
- Estimate the amount of water in the pot to the ratio of the rice you have. Try to get a two to one ratio or as close to it as possible. Or try to have just about an inch of water above the rice after you have added the rice.
- Add the rice to the ingredients and stir, using a fork.
- Add the margarine to the rice and peas and then reduce to a low heat.
- Wait until the boiling water in the pot sinks just below the top of the rice then wet a piece of Saran wrap (or plastic bag) and cover the rice then cover the pot with the pot cover.
- Simmer until rice is cooked, soft and shelly.
BONUS: Here is the trick to making this rice and peas nice and "shelly" (flaky):
As you may know, rice is usually cooked using a two-to-one ratio. That is, two equal parts of water to one part of rice, or as close to it as possible.